Hifas da Terra is a Biotech company focused on the development of products to complement conventional oncology treatments.
Scientific evidence suggests that mushrooms have great potential to support cancer patients, especially those with nutritional deficiencies associated with this complex phenomenon. We know that when nutritional status improves, immunological responses improve. As a consequence, both the risk of opportunistic infections and secondary effects may be reduced.
We can help you
Mushrooms have great potential to help those with a cancer diagnosis. The nutritional deficiencies associated with cancer are complex, but we know that improving nutritional status can improve the immune response and thereby reduce the risk of opportunistic infections and side effects. This is the first line of action of mushrooms in the complimentary support of cancer, but it is not the only one.
In addition to being an excellent nutritional supplement, multiple studies justify the use of mushrooms to enhance the effectiveness of chemo and radiotherapy, reduce pain among other side effects (loss of hair and appetite, vomiting, etc.). There is also evidence on the modulation of the immune response and, thanks to one of our R & D projects, we have demonstrated the anticancer activity of some of our mushroom extracts in cell lines.
We support you
Our nutritional supplements are coadjuvants to oncology treatments crafted fromspecific bioactive substances that help to improve patients’ quality of life.
We adhere to the strict GMP pharmaceutical quality standards
• Certified Excellence: Organic products free from maltodextrins, artificial colourings, heavy metals and other toxic substances.
• Standardised extracts: Highly concentrated ratios with standardised levels of bioactive ingredients.
• Vegetable capsules: We don’t use any ingredients from animals.
• Capsules – Protects Against Time: Exclusive capsule sealing system, packed in a controlled environment that avoids oxidation, keeping our mushroom constituents intact.
* None of our products interact with other drugs
Biotechnology, innovation and ecology
At Hifas da Terra we develop formulas using biotechnology and innovation with an emphasis on ecologically sustainable practices. We encourage health via medicinal mushroom bioactives, which we grow, research, produce, extract and purify in-house.
We apply scientific knowledge in Mycology, in order to service people’s well-being, by developing research studies and clinical trials, these will allow us to provide evidence-based validation of safety and efficacy, whilst upholding our social responsibility and commitment to the environment.
Scientific evidence of mushroom in cancer
We like to understand why things work they way they do. When we started our research, we knew that traditional medicine is derived from some 540 species of mushrooms and many had applications at the metabolic, cardiovascular and nervous systems levels. However, we soon discovered that of those 540 species, more than half also had anticancer properties. This began what is now our main line of research and an area where we have some of our most compelling evidence:
Evidence in the modulation of the immune response
• A study conducted in breast cancer patients previously treated with radiotherapy showed that the dry mycelia of T. versicolor increased the number of lymphocytes and the activity of Natural Killer cells in these patients.
• In a study of 100 patients with cancer of the cervix, ovary and endometrium, extracts of Agaricus brasiliensis Murrill, administered concomitantly with chemotherapy, induced a significant increase in the activity of Natural Killer cells with respect to placebo.
• In patients with stage II and III colorectal cancer, the PSK extract (found in Coriolus) administered in combination with chemotherapy induced an increase in the number of Natural Killer cells and a reduction in an acid-suppressing immunosuppressant protein, in addition to reducing the risk of recurrence.
• A study in children and adolescents (2-18 years) with leukemia and solid tumors previously treated with chemotherapy showed that treatment with G. lucidum induced benefits in the lymphoproliferative response of patients.
Evidence in the improvement of the quality of life of patients treated with chemotherapy
• In patients with cancer of the cervix, ovary and endometrium, the extract of Agaricus brasiliensis Murrill administered concomitantly with chemotherapy induced improvements in the quality of life of patients in terms of appetite, alopecia, emotional stability and general weakness.
• Similarly, 8 patients with gastric and colorectal cancer, were administered the mycelium extract of Lentinula edodes used concomitantly with chemotherapy eliminated unwanted effects of chemotherapy such as nausea and abdominal pain.
• Improvements in the quality of life of patients under hormonal therapy have also been observed. In 48 breast cancer patients with hormonal treatment who presented fatigue, the spore dust of Ganoderma lucidum induced significant improvements in physical well-being and fatigue, in addition to a reduction in levels of anxiety and depression.